A man who pushed boundaries and social norms, as well as legendary neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, allow these Sigmund Freud quotes to get you thinking outside of the box.
Sigmund Freud left a lasting mark on psychology and culture.
Although most of his ideas have fallen out of favor in psychology, he certainly changed the way people think about the human mind and behavior.
The legendary neurologist was born in the Austrian town of Freiberg on May 6, 1856.
He qualified as a doctor of medicine in 1881, after which he worked and gained respect as a physician.
Freud developed therapeutic techniques such as the use of free association, redefined sexual desire as the primary motivational energy of human life, interpreted dreams as sources of insight into unconscious desires, and created the theory of transference in the therapeutic relationship.
Sigmund Freud died in England on September 23, 1939 following a long and painful battle with oral cancer.
He left behind a legacy that has transcended science, with his ideas permeating deep into popular culture.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking Sigmund Freud quotes, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also check out these Viktor Frankl quotes from the famous neurologist and psychologist.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Sigmund Freud Quotes From The Master Of Psychoanalysis
1. “One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.” – Sigmund Freud
2. “Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength.” – Sigmund Freud
3. “Analogies, it is true, decide nothing, but they can make one feel more at home.” – Sigmund Freud
4. “Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.” – Sigmund Freud
5. “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by unpleasant people.” – Sigmund Freud
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of powerful depression quotes that will provide perspective.
6. “Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.” – Sigmund Freud
7. “Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts.” – Sigmund Freud
8. “The only person with whom you have to compare yourself is you in the past.” – Sigmund Freud
9. “A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world.” – Sigmund Freud
10. “Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise.” – Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud quotes to get you thinking outside the box
11. “There is a powerful force within us, an unilluminated part of the mind – separate from the conscious mind that is constantly at work molding our thought, feelings, and actions.” – Sigmund Freud
12. “From error to error, one discovers the entire truth.” – Sigmund Freud
13. “When making a decision of minor importance, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons.” – Sigmund Freud
14. “Dreams are often most profound when they seem the most crazy.” – Sigmund Freud
15. “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.” – Sigmund Freud
16. “When one does not have what one wants, one must want what one has.” – Sigmund Freud
17. “I suppose that romantic love was invented as a brilliant means of seduction.” – Sigmund Freud
18. “If you don’t like a person it’s because they remind you of something you don’t like about yourself.” – Sigmund Freud
19. “We choose not randomly each other. We meet only those who already exist in our subconscious.” – Sigmund Freud
20. “The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization.” – Sigmund Freud
You might also like these Psychology quotes and sayings that will teach you something about yourself.
Sigmund Freud quotes that will change the way you think
21. “Human life should not be considered as the proper material for wild experiments.” – Sigmund Freud
22. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” – Sigmund Freud
23. “Psychoanalysis is in essence a cure through love.” – Sigmund Freud
24. “Words and magic were in the beginning one and the same thing, and even today words retain much of their magical power.” – Sigmund Freud
25. “We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love.”– Sigmund Freud
Which of these Sigmund Freud quotes was your favorite?
Sigmund Freud was one of the most influential minds of the 20th.
He created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality and left an indelible mark on psychology.
Long after his death, Freud’s provocative theories are still a huge part of psychology, neuroscience, and culture.
We hope his words have inspired you to reach your highest potential and create a legacy that stands the test of time.
Did you enjoy these Sigmund Freud quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and followers.