Our latest collection of Sojourner Truth quotes honors one of the most powerful human rights advocates.
Her words will inspire you to stand for your rights and what you believe in.
Sojourner Truth was an African-American abolitionist and women’s rights activist who is recognized as one of the world’s best-known human rights crusaders.
Born Isabella Baumfree in 1797, Truth was bought and sold four times, and subjected to harsh physical labor and violent punishments.
She later escaped with her infant daughter to freedom in 1826 and successfully sued for the return of her son in 1828.
After gaining her freedom, Truth dedicated her life to the abolitionist cause and preached about equal rights for all.
She delivered her best-known speech – “Ain’t I a Woman?”
When the Civil War started, Truth helped recruit black troops for the Union Army.
Her Civil War work earned her an invitation to meet President Abraham Lincoln in 1864.
Truth sponsored many reform causes, including prison reform, property rights, and universal suffrage.
A statue honoring Truth was unveiled in Emancipation Hall at the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center in 2009, making her the first African American woman to have a statue in the Capitol building.
In 2014, she was included in Smithsonian magazine’s list of the “100 Most Significant Americans of All Time”.
In honor of one of the most influential advocates for human rights in the nineteenth century, below is our collection of powerful and inspirational Sojourner Truth quotes.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Sojourner Truth quotes honoring the fight for equality
1. “I know and do what is right better than many big men who read.” – Sojourner Truth
You will also enjoy our article on freedom of speech quotes.
2. “I feel safe in the midst of my enemies, for the truth is all powerful and will prevail.” – Sojourner Truth
3. “The rich rob the poor, and the poor rob one another.” – Sojourner Truth
4. “I tell you I can’t read a book, but I can read de people.” – Sojourner Truth
5. “I’m not going to die, I’m going home like a shooting star.” –Sojourner Truth
6. “We do as much, we eat as much, we want as much.” – Sojourner Truth
7. “Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.” –Sojourner Truth
8. “When I got religion, I found some work to do to benefit somebody.” – Sojourner Truth
9. “Life is a hard battle anyway. If we laugh and sing a little as we fight the good fight of freedom, it makes it all go easier. I will not allow my life’s light to be determined by the darkness around me.” – Sojourner Truth
10. “If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back, and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.” – Sojourner Truth
You might also like these quotes from Ida B. Wells on battling racism and sexism.
Sojourner Truth quotes that will inspire you to stand for your rights
11. “I have plowed and planted and gathered into barns, and no man could head me. And aren’t I a woman?” – Sojourner Truth
12. “If women want rights more than they got, why don’t they just take them, and not be talking about it.” –Sojourner Truth
13. “Religion without humanity is very poor human stuff.” – Sojourner Truth
14. “Though it seems curious, I do not remember ever asking for anything but what I got it. And I always received it as an answer to my prayers.” – Sojourner Truth
15. “It is the mind that makes the body.” ― Sojourner Truth
16. “Then I will speak upon the ashes.” – Sojourner Truth
17. “Because of them I can now live the dream. I am the seed of the free, and I know it. I intend to bear great fruit.” – Sojourner Truth
18. “Oh no, honey, I can’t read little things like letters. I read big things like men.” – Sojourner Truth
19. “If it is not a fit place for women, it is unfit for men to be there.” –Sojourner Truth
20. “I am glad to see that men are getting their rights, but I want women to get theirs, and while the water is stirring, I will step into the pool.” –Sojourner Truth
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of international Women’s Day quotes celebrating womanhood.
More Sojourner Truth quotes and sayings
21. “Truth burns up error.” – Sojourner Truth
22. “If women want any rights more than they’s got, why don’t they just take them, and not be talking about it?” – Sojourner Truth
23. “I did not run away, I walked away by daylight….” – Sojourner Truth
24. “The Spirit calls me, and I must go.” – Sojourner Truth
25. “I am for keeping the thing going while things are stirring. Because if we wait till it is still, it will take a great while to get it going again.” – Sojourner Truth
26. “I am above eighty years old … I suppose I am about the only colored woman that goes about to speak for the rights of the colored women. I want to keep the thing stirring, now that the ice is cracked.” – Sojourner Truth
27. “The rich rob the poor and the poor rob one another.” – Sojourner Truth
28. “Those are the same stars, and that is the same moon, that look down upon your brothers and sisters, and which they see as they look up to them, though they are ever so far away from us, and each other.” – Sojourner Truth
29. “Truth is powerful and it prevails.” – Sojourner Truth
30. “You have been having our rights so long, that you think, like a slave-holder, that you own us. I know that it is hard for one who has held the reins for so long to give up; it cuts like a knife. It will feel all the better when it closes up again.” – Sojourner Truth
You might also like these John Brown quotes about freedom, vision and slavery.
Which of these Sojourner Truth quotes was your favorite?
Sojourner Truth is one of the world’s best-known human rights crusaders.
Though she lived a miserable life as a slave, Truth rose to prominence as an abolitionist leader and became a testament to the humanity of enslaved people.
Truth spoke up and inspired many through her journey and persistence.
Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to speak up for what you believe in; regardless of your status or situation.
Did you enjoy these Sojourner Truth quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.