You might have been told to be careful not to burn your bridges before, but some of these burning bridges quotes point out why sometimes you have to do just that.
So, is burning bridges a good or a bad thing?
According to research by the University of Exeter, maintaining social connections can improve wellbeing and overall life satisfaction.
This statistic can encourage individuals to prioritize building and maintaining healthy relationships in their lives, rather than burning bridges with others.
First off, let’s look at this from the literal sense of the metaphor.
There are two pieces of land separated by an impassable cavern.
The idea behind this saying is that if you burn the bridge down, there is no going back to the other side.
Now, the idea behind the metaphor is that you shouldn’t do things that make it completely impossible for you to return to another person or situation.
For instance, if you are moving and have to quit a job, you should give a two-week notice.
Someday in your life, you might end up back in your original town, and want/need that job back.
Basically, burning bridges is all about your inability to go back the way you came, which might be safe and comfortable.
However, this is exactly why some people think burning bridges is not a good thing but a necessary thing.
Don’t forget to also check out these bridge quotes to encourage you to make connections.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Burning bridges quotes about moving on
A survey by the American Psychological Association found that practicing gratitude can lead to increased happiness and resilience in the face of difficult life events.
This statistic can encourage individuals to focus on the positive aspects of their lives and relationships, rather than dwelling on negative experiences and burning bridges.
1. “Burn the bridges that lead back to your old way of living.” — Unknown
2. “I demolish my bridges behind me―then there is no choice but to move forward.” — Fridtjof Nansen
You will also enjoy our article on moving forward quotes.
3. “It makes no difference if I burn my bridges behind me―I never retreat.” — Fiorello LaGuardia
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about breaking your limits.
4. “Sometimes you need to burn bridges to stop yourself from crossing them again.” — Unknown
5. “I will burn all bridges behind me and stake my entire future on my ability to get what I want.” — Cliff Townsend
6. “I won’t just burn bridges anymore, I’ll destroy portals between worlds. You are not allowed near me if all you carry is toxicity.” — Erin Van Vuren
7. “If the bridge to your past is burned behind you, then you have no choice but to travel the path into a successful future.” — John Di Lemme
8. “If you believe in destiny then you must believe that the bridge was burned so you can find a new way to go to find the destiny that you were meant to follow.” — Terry Perkins
9. “With every bridge that burns a new path is opened for the way your destiny is to be shaped.” — Terry Perkins
10. “Any bridge to the past that refuses to burn just gives the enemy an invitation and an entry point back into your life.” — Femi Olorunnisola
Burning bridges quotes about why we shouldn’t
Research by the University of California, Berkeley found that forgiveness can lead to better mental health outcomes, such as decreased anxiety and depression.
This statistic can encourage individuals to let go of past grievances and focus on building positive relationships in the future.
11. “Careful not to burn bridges, you just might need to cross back.” — Unknown
12. “Never burn a bridge. Just shut it down for renovations for a while.” — Unknown
13. “Never burn bridges. If it’s a faulty bridge then close it off and let it fall on its own.” — Gregor Collins
14. “I don’t burn bridges. I just fail to maintain them and let them structurally degrade over time.” — Unknown
15. “Don’t burn bridges. Keep your integrity. If you don’t get along, just keep your distance.” — Unknown
16. “I never wanted to set the world on fire. So I never had to burn any bridges behind me.” — Dinah Shore
17. “Don’t burn bridges. You’ll be surprised how many times you have to cross the same river.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
18. “You never know when a relationship will come in handy, so be cautious about burning bridges.” — John Michael Morgan
19. “I wish someone had told me about ‘burning bridges.’ I have burned loads of bridges in my life and I just had to move forward.” — Natalie Bandlow
20. “Burning a bridge, for example, does not just impact the situation at hand. It can Impact opportunities you may never be aware of.” — Valorie Burton
Burning bridges quotes from song lyrics
21. “Why’d we want to burn those bridges? Why’d we want to light such a flame?” — Daniel Smith Chauncey
22. “And we’re burning all the bridges now, watching it go up in flames, and then we’d build it up again.” — Casey Michael Laforet
23. “And we’re burning all the bridges now, cause it was sink or swim and I went down, down, down.” — Casey Michael Laforet
24. “These bridges burning so fast, we can’t just stomp ’em out as if you know what I’m talking about.” — Christopher Bridges (Ludacris)
25. “I can feel a strong desire, a distant fire burning through the past.Deep inside my heart is yearning, a bridge is burning.” — Remy David Shand
What did you learn from these burning bridges quotes?
Looking back at the land separated by bridges it is easy to see how burning bridges could be good.
There are things that happen you might want to leave in the past and never return to.
Horrible things that make it a no-brainer to burn that bridge to the ground and never walk back.
However, there are also times when the things behind us are pleasant enough.
Safe and secure—not something you feel the need to run from.
This sense of safety can keep you from growing and exploring new things that could be infinitely better for you.
Maybe you crossed from your side of the bridge and were just brave enough to step on the other side, but not explore.
If the bridge is there, you could decide to go back.
But if it were to collapse behind you, then you would have no choice but to go forward.
What awaits you in the unknown land?
That is for you to discover!
Maybe, you don’t need to burn the bridge to have the courage to venture forth into the unknown.
However, it is easy to see how sometimes not having the option to go back the way you came could be a really good thing.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these burning bridges quotes and sayings?
Do you regret burning a bridge, or was it the best thing that ever happened to you?
Let us know in the comment section below.