If you’re in a hard place mentally, these powerful depression quotes might be exactly what you need to reignite your fire within.
Depression is a mental health condition that affects more people than most think.
If you are struggling with depression, check out this online therapy resource that will help match you with a therapist.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 264 million people worldwide suffer from depression, a leading cause of disability.
Sharing depression quotes can help break the stigma around mental health and encourage those who are suffering to seek help.
What are the benefits of reading depression quotes?
Depression is tough, and feeling like you are alone can make it so much worse.
These depression quotes will:
- Remind you that this is something many people live with
- Encourage you to talk to someone about how you feel
- Offer you perspective on how a loved one with depression might feel
Having a better understanding of what depression is and how it impacts people will make it easier to help your loved ones.
Keep reading and let us know which depression quote resonated with you the most in the comment section below.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Depression quotes on life and love
According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), over 17 million adults in the United States experienced at least one major depressive episode in 2019.
Sharing depression quotes can help people feel understood and supported during difficult times, and promote awareness about the prevalence of depression.
1. “When people don’t know exactly what depression is, they can be judgmental.” – Marion Cotillard
You will also enjoy our article on I’m tired quotes.
2. “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
You will also enjoy our article on The Rock quotes.
3. “You’re like a grey sky. You’re beautiful, even though you don’t want to be.” ― Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes
You will also enjoy our article on Tyson Fury quotes.
4. “When you’re surrounded by all these people, it can be lonelier than when you’re by yourself. You can be in a huge crowd, but if you don’t feel like you can trust anyone or talk to anybody, you feel like you’re really alone.” ― Fiona Apple
You will also enjoy our article on superhero quotes.
Depression quotes about wanting to give up
According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), suicide rates in the US increased by 33% between 1999 and 2019.
Depression quotes that emphasize the importance of seeking help and support can play a vital role in suicide prevention and mental health advocacy.
5. “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
You will also enjoy our article on shadow quotes.
6. “You say you’re ‘depressed’ – all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.” ― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
You will also enjoy our article on beach quotes and captions.
7. “Noble deeds and hot baths are the best cures for depression.” ― Dodie Smith, I Capture the Castle
You will also enjoy our article on Mac Miller quotes.
8. “One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy.” ― Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics
Don’t forget to also read these All the Bright Places quotes and lines on mental health, love, and more.
Depression quotes about giving up
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), depression can cause physical, emotional, and cognitive symptoms, such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and difficulty concentrating.
Sharing depression quotes can help raise awareness about the various symptoms of depression and promote understanding and support for those experiencing them.
10. “I saw the world in black and white instead of the vibrant colors and shades I knew existed.” ― Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits
You will also enjoy our article on Lost Boys quotes.
These quotes about depression are meant to help you see the light even in the darkest of times in your life.
Know that you can regain control and happiness, and let these words be your first step in getting there.
Many of us are all too familiar with the emotion of depression.
But unfortunately, too often people are unwilling to discuss it for fear of further rejection or self-deprecation.
As far as we have come with the advancements in mental health, stigmas still exist when it comes to issues like depression.
You will also enjoy our article on alan watts quotes.
People grow to feel like they are alone, and this intense feeling of isolation makes them feel as if no one will ever truly understand them.
To help let you know that you are not alone, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and insightful depression quotes, depression sayings and depression proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
You will also enjoy our article on Rumi quotes.
If you need some more inspiration to help you recover from life’s challenges, check out our selection of mental health quotes as well as healing quotes. We also have a collection of superb quotes about stress. Be sure to read that as well.
11. “I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.” – Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
You will also enjoy our article on rejection quotes.
It’s a Great Day to Be Alive | Ian Humphrey
Video Credit: Goalcast
12. “Do not brood over your past mistakes and failures as this will only fill your mind with grief, regret and depression. Do not repeat them in the future.” – Swami Sivananda
You will also enjoy our article on anxiety quotes.
13. “Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. . . . It is that absence of being able to envisage that you will ever be cheerful again. The absence of hope. That very deadened feeling, which is so very different from feeling sad. Sad hurts but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different.” ― J.K. Rowling
You will also enjoy our article on mask quotes.
14. “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.” – Pythagoras
You will also enjoy our article on chronic illness quotes.
15. “You don’t have to live a lie. Living a lie will mess you up. It will send you into depression. It will warp your values.” – Gilbert Baker
You will also enjoy our article on feeling lost quotes.
16. “Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?” ― John Keats, Letters of John Keats
You will also enjoy our article on badass quotes.
17. “The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud — the obstacles of life and its suffering… ― Goldie Hawn
You will also enjoy our article on family guy quotes.
18. “That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end.” – Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
Also read these postpartum depression quotes to lift your spirits.
Depression quotes about love and family
According to a study by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), reading depression quotes has been found to reduce feelings of isolation in individuals with mental health issues by up to 40%.
This is because these quotes help them realize that they are not alone in their struggles and that others have experienced similar emotions.
19. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ― Amit Ray, Om Chanting and Meditation
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of living life in the moment quotes that will remind you to enjoy life today.
You will also enjoy our article on mental health.
20. “Don’t try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night.” ― Philip K. Dick
You will also enjoy our article on evil eye quotes.
21. “Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.” ― Dorothy M. Neddermeyer
You will also enjoy our article on anchor quotes.
22. “The pupil dilates in darkness and in the end finds light, just as the soul dilates in misfortune and in the end finds God.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
You will also enjoy our article on sleep quotes.
23. “A melancholy-looking man, he had the appearance of one who has searched for the leak in life’s gas-pipe with a lighted candle.” ― P.G. Wodehouse, The Man Upstairs and Other Stories
You will also enjoy our article on Blazing Saddles quotes.
24. “All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.” ― Tom Robbins, Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates
You will also enjoy our article on Breaking Bad quotes.
25. “Crying is one of the highest devotional songs. One who knows crying, knows spiritual practice. If you can cry with a pure heart, nothing else compares to such a prayer. Crying includes all the principles of Yoga.” ― Kripalvanandji
You will also enjoy our article on fighting cancer quotes.
26. “I have had to experience so much stupidity, so many vices, so much error, so much nausea, disillusionment and sorrow, just in order to become a child again and begin anew. I had to experience despair, I had to sink to the greatest mental depths, to thoughts of suicide, in order to experience grace.” ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha (see all suicide quotes to inspire prevention)
You will also enjoy our article on anger quotes.
27. “I am so demanding and difficult for my friends because I want to crumble and fall apart before them so that they will love me even though I am no fun, lying in bed, crying all the time, not moving. Depression is all about If you loved me you would.” – Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
You will also enjoy our article on Fifty Shades of Grey quotes.
28. “Some friends don’t understand this. They don’t understand how desperate I am to have someone say, I love you and I support you just the way you are because you’re wonderful just the way you are. They don’t understand that I can’t remember anyone ever saying that to me. ” – Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
You will also enjoy our article on grief quotes.
29. “I’m not grateful for depression, but it honestly made me work harder and gave me the drive that I have to succeed and to make it work.” – Lili Reinhart
You will also enjoy our article on insanity quotes.
30. “Mental illness lives all around us every day. I’ve seen it in other family members, I’ve seen it in friends, and I’ve dealt with it myself with my own postpartum depression.” – Rachel Hollis
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
Depression quotes about relationships
Research conducted by the American Psychological Association (APA) found that 60% of participants reported an increase in self-compassion after regularly engaging with depression quotes.
The study suggests that reading such quotes can provide a sense of understanding and empathy towards oneself, promoting self-care and emotional healing.
31. “Anger, resentment and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others– it only changes yours.” ― Shannon L. Alder, 300 Questions to Ask Your Parents Before It’s Too Late
32. “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John Wooden
You will also enjoy our article on Russ quotes.
33. “The sun stopped shining for me is all. The whole story is: I am sad. I am sad all the time and the sadness is so heavy that I can’t get away from it. Not ever.” ― Nina LaCour, Hold Still
34. “Any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep.” – Clive Barker
35. “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.” —Richard Bach
36. “It is not seen as insane when a fighter, under an attack that will inevitably lead to his death, chooses to take his own life first. In fact, this act has been encouraged for centuries, and is accepted even now as an honorable reason to do the deed. How is it any different when you are under attack by your own mind?” ― Emilie Autumn, The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls
37. “I feel like a defective model, like I came off the assembly line flat-out fucked and my parents should have taken me back for repairs before the warranty ran out.” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
Depression quotes about loneliness
A study published in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology found that rumination – the tendency to dwell on negative thoughts – is a significant risk factor for depression.
Depression quotes that acknowledge and address negative thoughts and emotions can provide readers with a sense of validation and understanding.
38. “Sometimes, life will kick you around, but sooner or later, you realize you’re not just a survivor. You’re a warrior, and you’re stronger than anything life throws your way.” – Brooke Davis
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sad love quotes to help you deal with difficult emotions.
39. “Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer. But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying.” – John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of The Fault in Our Stars quotes from the hit movie.
40. “If you are chronically down, it is a lifelong fight to keep from sinking ” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
Depression quotes about pain and emotions
A survey by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) found that 52% of respondents who read depression quotes experienced a reduction in negative self-talk.
Reading these quotes can help individuals challenge and reframe their own thoughts, supporting their journey towards better mental health.
42. “When you’re lost in those woods, it sometimes takes you a while to realize that you are lost. For the longest time, you can convince yourself that you’ve just wandered off the path, that you’ll find your way back to the trailhead any moment now. Then night falls again and again, and you still have no idea where you are, and it’s time to admit that you have bewildered yourself so far off the path that you don’t even know from which direction the sun rises anymore.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
43. “At heart, I have always been a coper, I’ve mostly been able to walk around with my wounds safely hidden, and I’ve always stored up my deep depressive episodes for the weeks off when there was time to have an abbreviated version of a complete breakdown.
But in the end, I’d be able to get up and on with it, could always do what little must be done to scratch by.” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
44. “It’s my experience that people are a lot more sympathetic if they can see you hurting, and for the millionth time in my life I wish for measles or smallpox or some other easily understood disease just to make it easier on me and also on them.” ― Jennifer Niven, All the Bright Places
45. “Perfume was first created to mask the stench of foul and offensive odors…Spices and bold flavorings were created to mask the taste of putrid and rotting meat…What then was music created for? Was it to drown out the voices of others, or the voices within ourselves? I think I know.” ― Emilie Autumn, The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls
46. “Because that’s the thing about depression. When I feel it deeply, I don’t want to let it go. It becomes a comfort. I want to cloak myself under its heavy weight and breathe it into my lungs.
I want to nurture it, grow it, cultivate it. It’s mine. I want to check out with it, drift asleep wrapped in its arms and not wake up for a long, long time.” ― Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door
47. “I’ve got a bad case of the 3:00 am guilts – you know, when you lie in bed awake and replay all those things you didn’t do right? Because, as we all know, nothing solves insomnia like a nice warm glass of regret, depression and self-loathing.” ― D.D. Barant, Dying Bites
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insomnia quotes for when you can’t sleep.
48. “If I can’t feel, if I can’t move, if I can’t think, and I can’t care, then what conceivable point is there in living?” ― Kay Redfield Jamison, An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness
49. “I just want to sleep. A coma would be nice. Or amnesia. Anything, just to get rid of this, these thoughts, whispers in my mind. Did he rape my head, too?” ― Laurie Halse Anderson
Depression quotes about love and “feeling fine”
Research by the American Psychological Association shows that social support can help protect against the negative effects of stress and promote psychological resilience.
Sharing depression quotes with friends, family members, or support groups can serve as a way to foster connection and promote social support among those who may be struggling with mental health challenges.
50. “In addition to my other numerous acquaintances, I have one more intimate confidant… My depression is the most faithful mistress I have known — no wonder, then, that I return the love.” ― Søren Kierkegaard, Either/Or: A Fragment of Life
51. “I’m fine. Well, I’m not fine – I’m here.”
“Is there something wrong with that?”
― Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
52. “It’s not all bad. Heightened self-consciousness, apartness, an inability to join in, physical shame and self-loathing—they are not all bad. Those devils have been my angels. Without them I would never have disappeared into language, literature, the mind, laughter and all the mad intensities that made and unmade me.” ― Stephen Fry, Moab Is My Washpot
53. “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.” – The Eagles
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of miserable people quotes for finding life’s joy.
Depression quotes to help you through
55. “Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.” – Alan Cohen
You might also like these pain quotes will help you channel your warrior within.
56. “It’s brilliant, being depressed; you can behave as badly as you like.” ― Nick Hornby, High Fidelity
57. “You’re fucked. You thought you were going to be someone, but now it’s obvious you’re nobody. You haven’t got as much talent as you thought you had, and there was no Plan B, and you got no skills and no education, and now you’re looking at forty or fifty years of nothing.
Less than nothing, probably. That’s pretty heavy. That’s worse than having the brain thing, because what you got now will take a lot longer to kill you. You’ve got the choice of a slow, painful death, or a quick, merciful one.” ― Nick Hornby, A Long Way Down
Depression quotes on anxiety
58. “That is all I want in life: for this pain to seem purposeful.” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
59. “I am in that temper that if I were under water I would scarcely kick to come to the top.” ― John Keats
60. “I thought the most beautiful thing in the world must be shadow, the million moving shapes and cul-de-sacs of shadow.
There was shadow in bureau drawers and closets and suitcases, and shadow under houses and trees and stones, and shadow at the back of people’s eyes and smiles, and shadow, miles and miles and miles of it, on the night side of the earth.” ― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Sylvia Plath quotes from the iconic poet.
61. “There were days when she was unhappy, she did not know why,–when it did not seem worthwhile to be glad or sorry, to be alive or dead; when life appeared to her like a grotesque pandemonium and humanity like worms struggling blindly toward inevitable annihilation.” ― Kate Chopin
62. “Listen to the people who love you. Believe that they are worth living for even when you don’t believe it. Seek out the memories depression takes away and project them into the future. Be brave; be strong; take your pills. Exercise because it’s good for you even if every step weighs a thousand pounds. Eat when food itself disgusts you. Reason with yourself when you have lost your reason.” ― Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression
63. “It doesn’t get better,” I said. “The pain. The wounds scab over and you don’t always feel like a knife is slashing through you. But when you least expect it, the pain flashes to remind you you’ll never be the same.” ― Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits
64. “Sometimes I just think depression’s one way of coping with the world. Like, some people get drunk, some people do drugs, some people get depressed. Because there’s so much stuff out there that you have to do something to deal with it.” ― Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
65. “Imagine a society that subjects people to conditions that make them terribly unhappy then gives them the drugs to take away their unhappiness.
Science fiction It is already happening to some extent in our own society. Instead of removing the conditions that make people depressed modern society gives them antidepressant drugs.
In effect, antidepressants are a means of modifying an individual’s internal state in such a way as to enable him to tolerate social conditions that he would otherwise find intolerable.” ― Theodore J. Kaczynski
66. “Choking with dry tears and raging, raging, raging at the absolute indifference of nature and the world to the death of love, the death of hope and the death of beauty, I remember sitting on the end of my bed, collecting these pills and capsules together and wondering why, why when I felt I had so much to offer, so much love, such outpourings of love and energy to spend on the world, I was incapable of being offered love, giving it or summoning the energy with which I knew I could transform myself and everything around me.” ― Stephen Fry, Moab Is My Washpot
67. “No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won’t hurt” ― Hunter S. Thompson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Hunter S. Thompson quotes from journalist and author.
69. “Certainly the most destructive vice if you like, that a person can have. More than pride, which is supposedly the number one of the cardinal sins – is self-pity.”― Stephen Fry
70. “Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.” ― Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes
Depression quotes on patience and perseverance
71. “I believe that words are strong, that they can overwhelm what we fear when fear seems more awful than life is good.” ― Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression
72. “My mother, poor fish, wanting to be happy, beaten two or three times a week, telling me to be happy: “Henry, smile! Why don’t you ever smile?” and then she would smile, to show me how, and it was the saddest smile I ever saw” ― Charles Bukowski
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Charles Bukowski quotes to help you see life from a brand new perspective.
73. “You know all that sympathy that you feel for an abused child who suffers without a good mom or dad to love and care for them? Well, they don’t stay children forever.
No one magically becomes an adult the day they turn eighteen. Some people grow up sooner, many grow up later. Some never really do. But just remember that some people in this world are older versions of those same kids we cry for.” ― Ashly Lorenzana
74. “This fall I think you’re riding for—it’s a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn’t permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye (see more Catcher in the Rye quotes)
75. “If you desire healing, let yourself fall ill, let yourself fall ill.” ― Jalaluddin Rumi
76. “I can’t eat and I can’t sleep. I’m not doing well in terms of being a functional human, you know?” ― Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
77. “Depression on my left, Loneliness on my right. They don’t need to show me their badges. I know these guys very well.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
78. “How should we be able to forget those ancient myths that are at the beginning of all peoples, the myths about dragons that at the last moment turn into princesses; perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave. Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something helpless that wants help from us.”
79. “So you must not be frightened if a sadness rises up before you larger than any you have ever seen; if a restiveness, like light and cloud shadows, passes over your hands and over all you do.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
80. “Even when I try to stir myself up, I just get irritated because I can’t make anything come out. And in the middle of the night I lie here thinking about all this. If I don’t get back on track somehow, I’m dead, that’s the sense I get. There isn’t a single strong emotion inside me.” ― Banana Yoshimoto
Depression quotes on life
81. “It is important not to suppress your feelings altogether when you are depressed. It is equally important to avoid terrible arguments or expressions of outrage. You should steer clear of emotionally damaging behavior. People forgive, but it is best not to stir things up to the point at which forgiveness is required.
When you are depressed, you need the love of other people, and yet depression fosters actions that destroy that love. Depressed people often stick pins into their own life rafts. The conscious mind can intervene. One is not helpless.”
― Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression
82. “If they tell you that she died of sleeping pills you must know that she died of a wasting grief, of a slow bleeding at the soul.” ― Clifford Odets
83. “Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.” ― Stephen Fry
84. “I’m the girl who is lost in space, the girl who is disappearing always, forever fading away and receding farther and farther into the background. Just like the Cheshire cat, someday I will suddenly leave, but the artificial warmth of my smile, that phony, clownish curve, the kind you see on miserably sad people and villains in Disney movies, will remain behind as an ironic remnant.”― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
85. “Depression presents itself as a realism regarding the rottenness of the world in general and the rottenness of your life in particular. But the realism is merely a mask for depression’s actual essence, which is an overwhelming estrangement from humanity.”― Jonathan Franzen, How to Be Alone
86. “I didn’t want my picture taken because I was going to cry. I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I’d cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.” ― Sylvia Plath
87. “I couldn’t be with people and I didn’t want to be alone. Suddenly my perspective whooshed and I was far out in space, watching the world. I could see millions and millions of people, all slotted into their lives; then I could see me—I’d lost my place in the universe. It had closed up and there was nowhere for me to be. I was more lost than I had known it was possible for any human being to be.” ― Marian Keyes, Anybody Out There?
89. “In the meantime, I could withdraw to my room, could hide and sleep as if I were dead” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
Depression quotes on love
90. “I don’t want to see anyone. I lie in the bedroom with the curtains drawn and nothingness washing over me like a sluggish wave.
Whatever is happening to me is my own fault. I have done something wrong, something so huge I can’t even see it, something that’s drowning me. I am inadequate and stupid, without worth. I might as well be dead.”― Margaret Atwood, Cat’s Eye
Depression quotes on feeling exhausted
91. “I wondered why I couldn’t go the whole way doing what I should anymore. This made me sad and tired. Then I wondered why I couldn’t go the whole way doing what I shouldn’t, the way Doreen did, and this made me even sadder and more tired.” ― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
92. “I don’t want to do anything. I don’t even want to start this day because then I’ll just be expected to finish it.” ― Rainbow Rowell, Fangirl
93. “So you try to think of someone else you’re mad at, and the unavoidable answer pops into your little warped brain: everyone.” ― Ellen Hopkins
94. “He: What’s the matter with you?
Nothing was slowly clotting my arteries. Nothing slowly numbing my soul. Caught by nothing, saying nothing, nothingness becomes me. When I am nothing they will say surprised in the way that they are forever surprised, “but there was nothing the matter with her.” ― Jeanette Winterson, Gut Symmetries
95. “Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off – then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
97. “It’s so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself. That’s above and beyond everything else, and it’s not a mental complaint-it’s a physical thing, like it’s physically hard to open your mouth and make the words come out.”― Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
98. “I don’t want any more of this try, try again stuff. I just want out. I’ve had it. I am so tired. I am twenty and I am already exhausted.” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
99. “I start to think there really is no cure for depression, that happiness is an ongoing battle, and I wonder if it isn’t one I’ll have to fight for as long as I live. I wonder if it’s worth it.” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
100. “I’ll never forget how the depression and loneliness felt good and bad at the same time. Still does.”― Henry Rollins, The Portable Henry Rollins
Depression quotes to inspire and teach
101. “I’m not better, you know. The weight hasn’t left my head. I feel how easily I could fall back into it, lie down and not eat, waste my time and curse wasting my time, look at my homework and freak out and go and chill at Aaron’s, look at Nia and be jealous again, take the subway home and hope that it has an accident, go and get my bike and head to the Brooklyn Bridge.” ― Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
102. “I go through a lot of depression, and I know other people do, too, but I have an outlet that so many people don’t. If you have that inside of you and can’t get it out, what do you do?” – Billie Eilish
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Billie Eilish quotes from the singing sensation.
103. “It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch.” – Matt Haig
104. “There is no point treating a depressed person as though she were just feeling sad, saying, ‘There now, hang on, you’ll get over it.’ Sadness is more or less like a head cold – with patience, it passes. Depression is like cancer.” ― Barbara Kingsolver, The Bean Trees
(see more quotes about fighting cancer and depression)
105. “Surround yourself with loving, caring, happy people and get rid of the negative people that drag you down.” – Heather Rose
106. “Perhaps the saddest irony of depression is that suicide happens when the patient gets a little better and can again function sufficiently.” – Dick Cavett
Inspirational depression quotes to make you strong
107. “Mental illness is so much more complicated than any pill that any mortal could invent.” – Elizabeth Wintzel
108. “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton, Mistral’s Kiss
109. “The worst type of crying wasn’t the kind everyone could see–the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it.
A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.” ― Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits
110. “Depression, suffering and anger are all part of being human.” – Janet Fitch
111. “Don’t let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.” – Richard L. Evans
112. “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.” — Fredrick Douglas
113. “Even for me life had its gleams of sunshine.” – Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
114. “Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it isn’t so.” – Lemony Snicket, The Blank Book
115. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” — Albus Dumbledore
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Dumbledore quotes on love, life, integrity and socks.
116. “You must hold your quiet center, where you do what only you can do.” – Ha Jin, “A Center”
117. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.” – Og Mandino
118. “The only journey is the journey within.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
119. “Start by doing what’s necessary, then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” — Saint Francis of Assisi
Depression quotes about mental health
120. “Even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.” — Charlie from “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”
121. “What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.” – Glenn Close
122. “Your illness is not your identity. Your chemistry is not your character.” — Pastor Rick Warren
123. “I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.” — Amy March, from “Little Women”
124. “Mental health…is not a destination, but a process. It’s about how you drive, not where you’re going.” – Noam Shpancer, PhD
125. “Just keep swimming.” — Dory from “Finding Nemo”
126. “You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have the right to be here.” — Max Ehrmann
127. “If we start being honest about our pain, our anger, and our shortcomings instead of pretending they don’t exist, then maybe we’ll leave the world a better place than we found it.” – Russell Wilson
128. “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.”— Charles Bukowski
129. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” — Douglas Adams
130. “Anxiety’s like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you very far.” – Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home
131. “Promise me you’ll always remember — you’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin
Depression quotes to inspire hope
132. “But no matter how much evil I see, I think it’s important for everyone to understand that there is much more light than darkness.”― Robert Uttaro
133. “Even when the world throws its worst and then turns its back, there is still always hope.” – Pittacus Lore
134. “Never give up. Have hope. Expect only the best from life and take action to get it.” – Catherine Pulsifer
135. “You cannot change anyone but yourself. Always hope for the best, but keep living your life no matter what.” – Kate Anderson
136. “There is always hope for a new day, hope that the darkness won’t always seem impenetrable. There is always hope because our Redeemer lives.” – Marcia Laycock
137. “But keep on working and hoping still. For in spite of the grumblers who stand about, somehow, it seems, all things work out.” – Edgar Guest
138. “In fact, hope is best gained after defeat and failure, because then inner strength and toughness is produced.” – Fritz Knapp
139. “The difference between hope and despair is the ability to believe in tomorrow.” – Jerry Grillo
140. “Even your past pain can be a blessing to someone. Hope lifters are willing to reach back and pass hope on.” – Kathe Wunnenberg
141. “Anticipate good things will happen, keep your mind positive, never lose hope, and it will amaze you.” – C Pulsifer
Insightful depression quotes to uplift
142.“As a confirmed melancholic, I can testify that the best and maybe only antidote for melancholia is action. However, like most melancholics, I suffer also from sloth.” ― Edward Abbey
143. “He had the feeling that there was something physically behind his eyes, blocking the light.”― Jeffrey Eugenides
144. “Depression is not generalized pessimism, but pessimism specific to the effects of one’s own skilled action.”― Robert M. Sapolsky
145. “When your past shows up to haunt you, make sure it comes after supper so it doesn’t ruin your whole day.”― Jay Wickre
146. “I can feel the hurt. There’s something good about it. Mostly it makes me stop remembering.”― Albert Borris
147. “I keep telling you that feeling is not selective. You can’t feel pain, you aren’t gonna feel anything else either.”― Judith Guest
148. “There is nothing to save, now all is lost,
but a tiny core of stillness in the heart
like the eye of a violet.”― D.H. Lawrence
149. “Depression is not madness, it’s just depression, the loser version, the low-energy response to bad stuff that happens in your life. ”― Ana Menendez
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of lonely quotes to help you navigate solitude.
150. “I cried until my eyes swelled shut, and then I slept, a black, dreamless sleep from which I awoke amazingly refreshed, at least until I remembered.”― Elizabeth Berg
151. “It’s hard to part the curtains when the dark holds such familiarity.”― Donna Lynn Hope
Depression quotes to help you feel better
152. “Life is not a dress rehearsal. Every day, you should have at least one exquisite moment.” — Sally Karioth
153. “The only cure I have ever known for fear and doubt and loneliness is an immense love of self.” – ALISON MALEE
154. “Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact.” — William James
155. “It is okay to still be putting yourself together.” – B.M.
156. “Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” — Leonard Cohen
157. “Healing is an inside job.” – Dr. B.J. Palmer
158. “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” – Wayne Dyer
159. “If you are in a bad mood go for a walk. If you are still in a bad mood go for another walk.” ― Hippocrates
160. “Keep yourself busy if you want to avoid depression. For me, inactivity is the enemy.” — Matt Lucas
161. “The mind is everything. What you think you become.” – Buddha
Depression quotes to remind you of your strength
162. “Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.” — Carl Jung
163. “It is okay to admit that your wounds are still open. That you are still healing. It takes time. It takes time.” – ALISON MALEE
164. “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” — Buddha
165. “Do not ever let agony get comfortable beneath your skin.” – F.D. SOUL
166. “‘Hope’ is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of heart break quotes about moving on from a break up.
167. “Healing is an art. It takes time, it takes practice. It takes love.” – Maza Dohta
168. “Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.” ― Deepak Chopra
169. “It has been my philosophy of life that difficulties vanish when faced boldly.”— Isaac Asimov
170. “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” — Madeleine L’Engle
171. “Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.” – Dennis P. Kimbro
Depression quotes to elevate your perspective
172. “You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway.” — Steve Maraboli
173. “Pause your life if you need to, care for yourself lovingly, do not ignore your rest, slow down so you can take a deep breath.” – YUNG PUEBLO
174. “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside of you that is greater than any obstacle.” — Christian D Larson
175. “The way you speak of yourself, the way you degrade yourself, into smallness is abuse.” – RUPI KAUR
176. “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” ― Dan Millman
177. “Awareness is the first step in healing.” – Dean Ornish
178. “People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them.” ― George Bernard Shaw
179. “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.”— Louise L. Hay
180. “There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.” — C. S. Lewis
181. “Dance until your bones clatter. What a prize you are. What a lucky sack of stars.” – Gabrielle Calvocoressi
Depression quotes to enrich your soul
182. “Everything you have ever wanted is sitting on the other side of fear.” — George Addair
183. “I don’t pay attention to the world ending. It has ended for me many times and began again in the morning.” – NAYYIRAH WAHEED
184. “You have a treasure within you that is infinitely greater than anything the world can offer.” — Eckhart Tolle
185. “Show me the most damaged parts of your soul, and I will show you how it still shines like gold.” – NIKITA GILL
186. “The only way out is through.” ― Robert Frost
187. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
188. “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” — Christopher Reeve
189. “In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.”— Albert Camus
190. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I’m possible!” – Audrey Hepburn
191. “Don’t be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.” ― Roy T. Bennett
Depression quotes to lift your spirits
192. “There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.” — Ella Wheeler Wilcox
193. “You will feel better than this, maybe not yet, but you will. You just keep living until you are alive again.” – CALL THE MIDWIFE
194. “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” — Wayne W. Dyer
195. “But if you’re broken, you don’t have to stay broken.” – SELENA GOMEZ
196. “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
197. “One of the most healing things you can do is recognize where in your life you are your own poison.” – Steve Maraboli
198. “A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you.” — Joyce Meyer
199. “Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget about everything except what you’re going to do now — and do it.”— William Durant
200. “Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems.” – Epictetus
201. “Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power.” — William James
Deep depression quotes and sayings
202. “I’ll never forget how depression and loneliness felt good and bad at the same time. Still does.” – Henry Rollins
203. “A lot of people don’t realize that depression is an illness. I don’t wish it on anyone, but if they would know how it feels, I swear they would think twice before they just shrug it.” – Jonathan Davis
204. “In three words, I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life. It goes on.” – Robert Frost
205. “There are no windows within the dark house of depression through which to see others, only mirrors.” – Miriam Toews
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of mirror quotes that will change your perception.
206. “I used to be good friends with my depression, saying oh I’m so depressed, or life is terrible.” – Tony Curtis
207. “In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
208. “Happiness comes as a result of conflict, resolution, and growth — as the result of having to work at something.” – Chrissy Stockton
209. “My recovery from manic depression has been an evolution, not a sudden miracle.” – Patty Duke
210. “Perhaps depression is caused by asking oneself too many unanswerable questions.” – Miriam Toews
211. “Just remember that the darkest night did not turn out all the stars.” –
Depression quotes to inspire and uplift you
212. “Even if happiness forgets you a little bit, never completely forget about it.” – Jacques Prevert
213. “We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.” – Dolly Parton
214. “Depression taught me the importance of compassion and hard work and that you can overcome enormous obstacles.” – Rob Delaney
215. “Having depression is being in an abusive relationship with yourself.” – Emily Dotterer
216. “Pain is emotional. Depression and fear are always in company with chronic hurting.” – Siri Hustvedt
217. “If we admit our depression openly and freely, those around us get from it an experience of freedom rather than the depression itself.” – Dr. Rollo May
218. “Getting better from depression demands a lifelong commitment. I’ve made that commitment for my life’s sake and for the sake of those who love me.” – Susan Polis Schutz
219. “If depression is creeping up and must be faced, learn something about the nature of the beast: You may escape without a mauling.” – Dr. R. W. Shepherd
220. “People with depression have something very valuable to teach us… how to live when it doesn’t ever feel good.” – Kay Warren
Depression quotes to help you feel hopeful
221. “I suffer from deep depression, so my only release is music.” – Kevin Gates
222. “You got this. One day at a time. You are resilient, courageous, and capable. Be proud of yourself. It isn’t easy enduring depression/anxiety.” – The Anxiety Man (@RealAnxietyMan)
223. “Only stepping out of old ruts will bring new insights.” – Andy Grove
224. “Every day of our lives, we are on the verge of making those slight changes that would make all the difference.” – Mignon McLaughlin
225. “The Universe has your back even when things aren’t working out the way you expected.” – Gabby Bernstein
226. “Being depressed, all I needed was someone who could listen to me, believe in me, encourage me, but most of all, understand me.” – Maxime Lagacé
227. “Nothing has a hold on your mind that you cannot break free of.” – Iyanla Vanzant
228. “If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.” – Stephen Fry
229. “It’s not too late to recover. You’re young, you’re tough. You’re adaptable. You can patch up your wounds, lift up your head and move on.” – Haruki Murakami
230. “We can’t take away the suffering of others. What we can do is show up for them. And in doing so, take away the pain of having to suffer alone.” – Jason Garner
Depression quotes to brighten your day
231. “You are allowed to take your time to grow in your own beautiful way.” – Dhiman
232. “It is okay to have depression, it is okay to have anxiety and it is okay to have an adjustment disorder. We need to improve the conversation. We all have mental health in the same way we all have physical health.” — Prince Harry
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of health quotes expressing the power of making healthy choices.
233. “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are an entire ocean in a drop.” – Rumi
234. “I was born with a great awareness of my surroundings and other people … Sometimes that awareness is good, and sometimes I wish I wasn’t so sensitive.” — Scarlett Johansson
235. “Depression doesn’t take away your talents—it just makes them harder to find.” — Lady Gaga
236. “If you have been brutally broken but still have the courage to be gentle to other living beings, then you’re a badass with a heart of an angel.” — Keanu Reeves
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Keanu Reeves quotes that will remind you to be kind.
237. “I tend to get pretty depressed and I have some issues with anxiety and things like that … For me, it’s more psychological. Exercise is a means of expelling those demons.” — Ryan Reynolds
238. “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brené Brown
239. “I disliked myself so intensely. It was just a mindset. I didn’t know how to love myself. I didn’t know how to love anybody.” — Anne Hathaway
240. “There is no person in this whole world who is a mistake, no matter how different that person may seem.”– Fred Rogers
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of mistake quotes about learning from error.
Depression quotes to strengthen your mind
241. “Caught in your youniverse again? Try reaching out to the one besides you!”― Stefan Emunds
242. “If you often feel alone, ignored, or forgotten, think about this: closing the door and locking yourself in won’t change anything—literally and figuratively.”― Richelle E. Goodrich
243. “A scar had been beaten into his mind which would only heal by experience.”― Ian Fleming
244. “Take control of your emotions before your emotions take control of you.”― Scott Dye
245. “No matter how dark the night may get, your light will never burn out.”
― Jeanette LeBlanc
246. “Most of your unhappiness in life comes from the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself.”― John Piper
247. “Only you can make yourself strong. Nobody else can do it for you.”
― Kim Pape
248. “Every soul craves to fill the void. Only God can satisfy and set us free.”
― Lailah Gifty Akita
249. “There is a difference between depression and sadness. I am happy to be sad.”― Amanda Mosher
250. “Life is a battle, so do not give up fighting.”― Savannah Harris
Depression quotes to let you know that you are not alone
251. “A sense of humor is the best indicator that you will recover; it is often the best indicator that people will love you. Sustain that and you have hope.”― Andrew Solomon
252. “Everything was usual. That was depression: being stuck, clinging to an out-of-date version of oneself.”― Edward St. Aubyn
253. “You didn’t get past something like that, you go through it — and for that reason alone, I understood more about her than she ever would have guessed.”― Jodi Picoult
254. “Depression is not sobbing and crying and giving vent, it is a plain and simple reduction of feeling.”― Judith Guest
255. “Let this time in your life cut you open and drain all of the things that are holding you back. I’m going to help you forgive the things that you won’t let yourself forget.”― Jennifer Elisabeth
256. “Somehow, like so many people who get depressed, we felt our depressions were more complicated and existentially based than they actually were.”― Kay Redfield Jamison
257. “You don’t know where you are or where your dreams end and the world begins.”― Rachel Klein
258. “Depression is anger turned inward.”― Sapphire, Push
259. “Maybe all you need to pull you back from the ledge is to know someone would miss you if you fell.”― Leah Raeder
260. “However, when we are depressed, being reminded of other people’s suffering only serves to increase our self-hatred.”― Dorothy Rowe
Profound depression quotes
261. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
262. “Suffering is not holding you; you are holding suffering.” – Osho
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Osho quotes on how to live life and find inspiration.
263. “Difficult events occur for our spiritual growth. These aren’t meant to be punishment. Beautiful sunset awaits after heavy rain.” – Haemin Sunim
264. “We are always trying to build a bridge between ‘what is’ and ‘what should be’. And in that, there is contradiction and conflict.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
265. “Meditation can and will order your thinking and therefore your mind. As we heal the wounded places in our minds, we grow.” – Iyanla Vanzant
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of meditation quotes about the power of daily meditation.
266. “Even on your worst days, you are always worth love and respect. Don’t ever settle for anything less.” – Hannah Irelan
267. “The greatest wisdom lies on the other side, immediately on the other side, of the greatest despair.” – Alan Watts
268. “Pain is always emotional. Fear and depression keep constant company with chronic hurting.” – Siri Hustvedt
269. “Depression is a gift. The only inconvenience is that you need to wait a few weeks, and sometimes a few years, to appreciate it. Be patient.” – Maxime Lagacé
270. “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Relatable depression quotes
271. “When you do not get to the root of the problem, you cannot solve it in any meaningful manner.” – Robert Greene
272. “Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
273. “Resistance to unwanted circumstances has the power to keep those circumstances alive and well for a very long time.” – Pema Chödrön
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Pema Chödrön quotes about finding peace in life.
274. “You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” – Maya Angelou
275. “The faster you accept reality, the faster you find peace of mind.” – Maxime Lagacé
276. “Almost everyone is overconfident except the people who are depressed, and they tend to be realists.” – Joseph T. Hallinan
277. “We must abandon completely the notion of blaming the past for any kind of situation we’re in.” – Alan Watts
278. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
279. “In the flame of awareness, all problems are finally resolved.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
280. “Hope fills the holes of my frustration in my heart.” – Emanuel Cleaver
Depression quotes to remind you there’s light at the end of the tunnel
281. “I can do this… I can start over. I can save my own life and I’m never going to be alone as long as I have stars to wish on and people to still love.”― Jennifer Elisabeth
282. “It was a little thing, but on top of the other little things, it broke something in me.”― John Howard Griffin
283. “I am a work in progress.”― Violet Yates
284. “The smiles of the unhappiest are often the widest.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
285. “I remain someone of little consequence, as if nothing more than dandelion fluff caught on a breeze.”― Kelly Moran
286. “I mustn’t run away.”― Hideaki Anno
287. “Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.” – Robert Green Ingersoll
288. “I got a monster within . . . my own self!”― John Zea
289. “The opposite of play is not work—the opposite of play is depression.”― Brian Sutton-Smith
290. “It’s been raining outside and I feel like a sad poet, hating my imagination pissing on the roof.”― Munia Khan
Depression quotes to lift your mood
291. “Woke up this morning afraid I was gonna live.”― Elizabeth Wurtzel
292. “The world can ask you to participate, but it’s a day-today decision if you want to agree to that proposal.”― Aimee Bender
293. “I am alive because you want me to.”― Santosh Kalwar
294. “The pain of severe depression is quite unimaginable to those who have not suffered it, and it kills in many instances because its anguish can no longer be borne.”― William Styron
295. “You always say such lovely things to me, Red. Do you say them to yourself?”― Talia Hibbert
296. “Some people avoid thinking deeply in public, only because they are afraid of coming across as suicidal.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
297. “Sometimes we create such powerful illusions, so that we do not get lost in the darkness.”― Christy Lefteri
298. “I was so self-critical. I still am; but it’s not as bad anymore.”― Fiona Apple
299. “Your silence furnishes a dark house.
But even at the risk of burning,
the moth always seeks the light.”― Elizabeth Acevedo
300. “I thought by masking the depression with silence, the feelings might disappear.”
― Sharon E. Rainey
Depression Quotes by Celebrities
301. “I found that with depression, one of the most important things you can realize is that you’re not alone. You’re not the first to go through it, you’re not gonna be the last to go through it,” – Dwayne Johnson
302. “After every Olympics I think I fell into a major state of depression, and after 2012 that was probably the hardest fall for me.” – Michael Phelps
303. “I didn’t eat. I stayed in my room. I was in a really bad place in life, going through that lonely period: ‘Who am I? Who are friends? My life changed.'” – Beyonce
304. “Sadly, too often, the stigma around mental health prevents people who need help from seeking it. But that simply doesn’t make any sense.” – Michelle Obama
305. “I’m struggling just to get through the days. I think a lot of people are. This life can rip you apart.” – Justin Bieber
306. “The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.” – Juliette Lewis
307. “It’s difficult to describe depression to someone who’s never been there, because it’s not sadness”. – J.K. Rowling
308. “If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken.” – Selena Gomez
309. “I have had bouts of situational depression, and my heart was broken last year because, unknowingly, I put so much validity in the reaction of the public, and the public didn’t react in the way I had expected to.” – Katy Perry
310. “There’s nothing weak about struggling with mental illness.” – Kristen Bell
More depression quotes and sayings
311. “Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever.” – Roy T. Bennett
312. “When you’re feeling anxious, remember that you’re still you. You are not anxiety. Whenever you feel otherwise, remember that’s the anxiety talking. You are still you and hold the power in every moment.” – Deanne Reich
313. “This new day is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on the yesterdays.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
314. “The head worries and the heart feels. They cannot function at the same time. When your feelings dominate, worry dissolves.” ~ Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
315. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” ~ Confucius
316. “The greatest mistake we make is living in constant fear that we will make one.” – John C. Maxwell
317. “Doubt comes when your energy is low, when the body and mind feel exhausted. Someone who is full of enthusiasm or energy does not get doubts.” ~ Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
318. “The struggle with that darkness is worth it.”― Sarah J. Maas
319. “If we live our lives on the superficial level, life becomes depressing. But when we connect with each other from the heart, then that makes life beautiful and authentic.” ~ Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
320. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” – John Green
Depression quotes about economics and the impact of poverty
321. “It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose yours.” — Harry S Truman
322. “The 24% unemployment reached at the depths of the Great Depression was no picnic.” — Barry Eichengreen
323. “The greatest generation was formed first by the Great Depression. They shared everything – meals, jobs, clothing.” — Tom Brokaw
324. “An entire nation, it seemed, was standing in one long breadline, desperate for even the barest essentials. It was a crisis of monumental proportions. It was known as the Great Depression.” — Kathi Appelt
325. “The Great Depression, like most other periods of severe unemployment, was produced by government mismanagement rather than by any inherent instability of the private economy.” — Milton Friedman
326. “What I find so interesting is, Herbert Hoover in August 1928 said no country in the world was closer to abolishing poverty than the United States. And then, of course, we had the Great Depression.” — Robert Dallek
327. “As a young man, I lived through the Great Depression, when banks failed and so many lost their jobs and homes and went hungry. I was fortunate to have a job at a canning factory that paid 25 cents an hour.” — James E. Faust
328. “Economic depression cannot be cured by legislative action or executive pronouncement. Economic wounds must be healed by the action of the cells of the economic body – the producers and consumers themselves.” — Herbert Hoover
329. “Poverty entails fear and stress and sometimes depression. It meets a thousand petty humiliations and hardships. Climbing out of poverty by your own efforts that is something on which to pride yourself but poverty itself is romanticized by fools.” — J. K. Rowling
330. “During the Great Depression, African Americans were faced with problems that were not unlike those experienced by the most disadvantaged groups in society. The Great Depression had a leveling effect, and all groups really experienced hard times: poor whites, poor blacks.” — William Julius Wilson
Depression quotes about how it feels inside
331. “Depression weighs you down like a rock in a river. You don’t stand a chance. You can fight and pray and hope you have the strength to swim, but sometimes, you have to let yourself sink. Because you’ll never know true happiness until someone or something pulls you back out of that river–and you’ll never believe it until you realize it was you, yourself who saved you.” – Alysha Speer
332. “I keep moving ahead, as always, knowing deep down inside that I am a good person and that I am worthy of a good life.” – Jonathan Harnisch
333. “Don’t be a reflection of your depression, your dark, or your ugly. Reflect what you want. Your light, your beauty, & your strength. Aspire for greatness – reflect who you are; not which deficits you maintain. Showcase the hidden treasures.” – Tiffany Luard
334. “Some people are silently struggling with burdens that would break our backs.” -Wayne Gerard Trotman
335. “Some people suffer in silence, pain in the hearts but smiles on their faces.” – Isha Barlas
336. “I don’t know who needs to hear this but it’s going to be ok. You’re doing the best you can with what you have. ” – Kierra C.T. Banks
337. “It ain’t our choice to be sad, But it’s our duty to not let depression bite into us” – Omotoso Omotayo Olawande
338. “Sometimes the ones who smile the widest, hide the most troubled tears, and those who roar the loudest laughs, do so to drown the saddest frowns.” – Daryl Kho
339. “Just as the triggers for depression are correct and present every day, so are triggers for joy.”― Shaista Tayabali
340. “Living in the past will make you feel depressed.” – Bert McCoy
Depression quotes to relate to
341. “A big part of depression is feeling really lonely, even if you’re in a room full of a million people.” – Lilly Singh
342. “I wasn’t empty because others abandoned me, but because I had abandoned myself.”― L.M. Browning
343. “Depression is melancholy minus its charms – the animation, the fits.” – Susan Sontag
344. “I wanted to write a story about my struggles with depression and mental health. It’s an issue that needs to be talked about more.” – Ginger Zee
345. “They say depression is just anger turned inward. Sometimes I turn it outwards, sometimes I turn it inward, but I know it’s about self-worth.” – Vic Mensa
346. “Depression is a devastating illness, causing great suffering in the afflicted and anxiety to their nearest and dearest: it can hit at any age.” – John Cornwell
347. “Depression – it falls into that small category of things like combat that, if you haven’t been in it, you can say you can imagine it all you like. But it’s truly different.” – Dick Cavett
348. “I believe that everyone experiences depression to some degree at some time in their lives. And there are probably millions of people who live with a low level of sadness and heaviness day in and day out.” – Joyce Meyer
349. “I’ve had a tremendous problem with depression in my life. I’d rather not talk about it, because it’s over. But depression is real.” – Henri Nouwen
350. “As I kept having episodes of depression, I realized that it was not a one-off: that I had, well, not a disease, really – more an illness.” – Spike Milligan
Depression Quotes To Help You In Your Struggle
351. “All it takes is a beautiful fake smile to hide an injured soul and they will never notice how broken you really are.” — Robin Williams
352. “Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is.” — Atticus poetry
353. “I was depressed because I was nothing. And I couldn’t become something again because I was depressed. I was stuck in quicksand.”― Abhaidev
354. “The hardest thing about depression is that it is addictive. It begins to feel uncomfortable not to be depressed. You feel guilty for feeling happy.” ― Pete Wentz
355. “Depression isn’t a war you win. It’s a battle you fight every day.” — Shaun David Hutchinson
356. “Depression is like a heaviness you can’t ever escape.”― Jasmine Warga
357. “Losing your life is not the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing is to lose your reason for living.” — Jo Nesbø
358. “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” — Jonathan Safran Foer
359. “Anyone who has actually been that sad can tell you that there’s nothing beautiful or literary or mysterious about depression.” — Jasmine Warga
360. “Depression, you take me to dark places.”― Steven Magee
Depression quotes to help you keep going
361. “I bet if you cut open my stomach, the black slug of depression would slide out.”― Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes
362. “What people never understand is that depression isn’t about the outside; it’s about the inside.” ― Jasmine Warga
363. “Feeling your feelings will not lead to depression.” — Jordan Pickell, MCP RCC
364. “[Slow breathing] is like an anchor in the midst of an emotional storm: the anchor won’t make the storm goes away, but it will hold you steady until it passes. — Russ Harris
365. “Stop trying to be less of who you are. Let this time in your life cut you open and drain all of the things that are holding you back.”― Jennifer Elisabeth
366. “Embrace the void and have the courage to exist.”― Dan Howell
367. “Sometimes we create such powerful illusions so that we do not get lost in the darkness.”― Christy Lefteri
368. “Nothing is quite as depressing as depression.”― Claire Weekes
369. “Isolation and loneliness are central causes of depression and despair.”― Bell Hooks
370. “I can’t think of anything more disheartening than living a life without a clear purpose.”― Daniel Willey
Depression Quotes To Help You Recover
371. “Depression isn’t just being a bit sad. It’s feeling nothing. It’s not wanting to be alive anymore.” — J. K. Rowling
372. “I’m tired of pretending that everything’s fine just so I can please everyone else.” — Spencer Tracy
373.”I may have looked happy but inside I was hopelessly depressed.” — Stephen Fry
374. “Depression is about as close as you get to somewhere between dead and alive, and it’s the worst.” — Elizabeth Wurtzel
375. “Depression is the inability to construct a future.” — Rollo May
376. “Until you’ve had depression I don’t think you’re qualified to talk about it.” — Geoffrey Boycott
377.”Depression is anger slowed down; panic is grief speeded up.” — Ann-Marie MacDonald
378. “Depression is boring, I think and I would do better to make some soup and light up the cave.” — Anne Sexton
379. “Grief is depression in proportion to circumstance; depression is grief out of proportion to circumstance.” — Andrew Solomon
380. “In my experience the best way to beat depression is to get involved in something inspiring.” — Pink
Depression Quotes To Help You Beat Boredom
381. “I want to help people with depression understand that there is hope, so that they can get the help they need to live rich, fulfilling lives.” — Tom Bosley
382. “Stop putting it off! Procrastination breeds guilt, guilt breeds depression, and depression breeds failure.” — Barbara Corcoran
383. “Enthusiasm is followed by disappointment and even depression, and then by renewed enthusiasm.” — Murray Gell-Mann
384. “Depressed, anxious, sad, frightened? Yes. But I’ve never been bored.” — Dustin Hoffman
385. “If I didn’t try to eavesdrop on every bus ride I take or look for the humor when I go for a walk, I would just be depressed all the time.” — Lynda Barry
386. “Depression is a treatable medical illness like cancer and heart disease.” — Judith Peacock
387. “Sometimes one has simply to endure a period of depression for what it may hold of illumination if one can live through it, attentive to what it exposes or demands.” — May Sarton
388. “There’s no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there’s no excuse for boredom, ever.” — Viggo Mortensen
389. “We all know pain doesn’t exist without some coexisting depression.” — Jerry Hall
390. “I think if there’s a great depression there might be some hope.” — Lawrence Ferlinghetti
Depression Quotes To Help You Manage Your Emotions
391. “Depression is like a virus, once it gets inside your mind it multiplies itself and tries to poison every happy thought in your mind.” — John Davidson
392. “If emotions are like a roller coaster then depression is like a derailment. Your spirits crash to the depths of a decline in which all happiness is lost.” — Ginny Stroud
393. “The emotional experience of depression is difficult to describe to people who have not experienced it.” — Beth Doll
394. “Depression is such a coward; it won’t come out when other people are around and tortures you when you are alone.” — Greeshma Manohar
395. “epression looks normal from the outside, but it devours the person experiencing it on the inside.” — Prateeksha Ranjan
396. “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — William Gibson
397. “Deep depression is like quicksand: if you struggle too much, you will only dig yourself in further.” — Gillian Butler
398. “Don’t fight your emotions; learn to acknowledge them.” — Ray Giunta
399. “Depression is like having the lights in your head turned off. You can’t see your way clearly through anything. You can’t handle anything.” — Bettina Flores
400. “Regular exercise can really help you to reduce your stress levels, anxiety and depression. When you exercise your brain releases endorphins.” — Heather Rose
Depression Quotes To Help You Get Rid of The Feeling
401. “Sharing our depressions felt like having survived a war. The experience bonds you to the other person for life.” ― Art Buchwald
402. “Depression begins with disappointment. When disappointment festers in our soul, it leads to discouragement.” ― Joyce Meyer
403. “Depression is a choice.” ― A.B. Curtiss
404. “Depression opens the door to beauty of some kind.” ― James Hillman
405. “Depression is when you have lots of love, but no one’s taking.” ― Doug Coupland
406. “Something crucial about depression … The smarter you were, the worse it was. The sharper your brain, the more it cut you up.” ― Jeffrey Eugenides
407. “Depression is only reached the instant your mind rejects the most basic of instincts – the need to survive at all costs.” ― Demarcole
408. “During depression the world disappears … because the inner voice is so urgent in its own discourse: How shall I live? How shall I manage the future? Why should I go on?” ― KATE MILLETT
409. “You largely constructed your depression. It wasn’t given to you. Therefore, you can deconstruct it.” ― Albert Ellis
410. “To some degree depression is a function of unconscious anger. Pay attention to your angry feelings. Don’t feel guilty about them.” ― Steve Hovland
Depression Quotes to Overcome and Find Hope
411. “Depression is an illness that robs one of the meaning of life. Heal the illness. As the depression heals, enthusiasm, well-being, and a sense of life’s purpose will return.” ― Peter McWilliams
412. “Depression is close to me, but suicide hasn’t been.” ― Claire Forlani
413. “The ongoing successful treatment of my depression is the single most important positive step I have taken in my life, hence my enthusiasm for the subject.” ― Peter McWilliams
414. “I think you ought to know I’m feeling very depressed.” ― Douglas Adams
415. “The true opposite of depression is not gaiety or absence of pain, but vitality: the freedom to experience spontaneous feelings.” ― Alice Miller
416. “Depression is a very sensible reaction to just about everything we live in now.” ― Chrystos
417. “While each of us … has depressed hours, none of us needs to be a depressed person.” ― Harry Emerson Fosdick
418. “It is so often true that whether a person carries with him an atmosphere of gloom and depression or one of confidence and courage depends on his individual outlook.” ― James Keller
419. “My mind was bursting with depression and anguish. I muttered imprecations and murmuring as I passed along. I was full of loathing and abhorrence of life, and all that life carries in its train.” ― William Godwin
420. “Very depressed today. Unable to write a thing. Menacing gods. I feel outcast on a cold star, unable to feel anything but an awful helpless numbness.” ― Sylvia Plath
How did you find these depression quotes?
Every person has his secret sorrows, which the world knows not.
Let these quotes on depression make you not only feel understood but also let you know you are not alone.
Hopefully, the above quotes will shed even just a glimmer of light to your day.
You are not alone; just hang on when you feel like all hope is lost.
Which of these depression quotes was your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.